PIZZA NIGHT WITH YOUNG CARERS
– Supporting Young Carers Awareness Day
On Thursday 26th January, a day also known as YOUNG CARERS AWARENESS DAY, Bournemouth Youth Services took out 8 young carers
to enjoy Pizza at Bournemouth Pizza Co.
The age range was from 15 – 20 years old and the older carers where able to share their experiences of caring from a young age for a family member to those who may need advice.
A Young Carer often misses out on opportunities that other children have such as going to meet with their friends. They often get bullied for being “Different”. The idea was to allow them a ‘night off’ from their duties at home and meet other young people who are in a similar position so that they can connect.
– Almost half of young carers are reporting stress, tiredness or mental health problems because of their caring role
– 80% of young carers are missing out on childhood activities because of their caring role
– Almost half of young carers are struggling to get their homework done on time because of their caring role
– Young carers on averge miss or cut short an average 48 school days a year because of their caring role